written by: Jenny Puttick, DVM, BSc, MSc
Your pet ate WHAT??
The holidays are a time when we like to over-indulge and forget about our balanced diets for a while. Unfortunately, sometimes our pets decide to follow suit and eat things that they shouldn't. The following is a list of common ingestions that can occur during this season and what you should do if you think your pet may have gotten into something bad. However, our pets can be creative in what they decide to eat so this list is definitely not all-inclusive. A good rule of thumb is to contact your veterinarian for advice if you have concerns about anything that your pet may have decided to try.
Ribbon and Tinsel
Clinical signs of a linear foreign body can include decreased appetite or anorexia, vomiting, and abdominal pain. Diagnosis and treatment may include abdominal x-rays and exploratory surgery to remove the obstruction. If you think your pet may have gotten into tinsel, ribbon or another linear foreign body, please contact your veterinarian for advice.
If you think your pet has ingested antifreeze, you should contact your veterinarian immediately. Initial treatment may include inducing vomiting if the ingestion occurred recently. It can be very difficult to treat antifreeze toxicity once acute kidney failure has occurred so depending on the amount of antifreeze ingested and the physical exam performed by your veterinarian, your pet may require an extended stay in hospital.